Sunday, September 12, 2010

Flour Taco Shells





Flour Tortilla Shells

I make ground turkey tacos with my own taco seasoning.  Daiya dairy-free "cheese" is the cheese pictured on the tacos.  Most store-bought corn shells are already gluten-free, but you have to watch the labels.  Some corn shells and tortilla chips do contain wheat.  I had to make my own shells because we like to eat turkey tacos two or three times a week, but my husband and daughter can do corn only in extreme moderation and most pre-packaged shells and tortilla chips are fried in a soy-based vegetable oil that neither of them can tolerate.   So I had to come up with my own recipe.  I have folded them into taco shells and also prepared them flat and cut them up into chips with a little sea salt.  Now we can have tacos or nachos as often as we like!   

Use gf mixture – 1 1/2 c sorghum, 1 1/2c potato starch  and 1 c tapioca starch.  Mix in a plastic bag.

1 1/4 c  gf flour mixture
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1/2 cup of cold water (pour slowly may not need it all) 
I combine the ingredients with my hands.
When all combined run a finger over it and it should look like this.  

1) Make a golf ball size ball.

2)Press down on the ball and flatten out into a circular shape on an oiled piece of foil and then turn over on hot griddle at 400 degrees. (The foil wasn't my idea.  I got that off the internet somewhere,  Wish it was:)


3) It should hang freely from the foil when you pick it up after 1-2 minutes on the griddle.




4)  If not, use a spatula to help loosen it.












My hubby likes hard shells so I just leave on griddle until it is hard.

It is very soft for making wraps or burritos.

See how flexible it is?  Yum!!!




(All Rights Reserved)
Copyright © 2010